Yukon Gold Panning Championships
Panners of all skills and ages are invited to join this event that is based on a combination of efficiency and speed. This open competition celebrates Yukon’s heritage as well as the mining industry that still thrives today!
7 categories are run through the day and there’s sure to be one that suits your ability level. Skill levels range from those who have never held a gold pan in their hands to those who make a living mining. From beginner to professional, each category rewards a first, second and third place- all participants get to keep all the gold they find!
How the event works:
- Participants sign up on the day of the event – Registration opens at 12pm
- Panners are given an equal amount of dirt in a container (usually a pan or bucket’s worth).
- Each container of dirt contains Five (5) to Twelve (12) gold flakes- as small as a grinded piece of pepper!
- Each participant is given the same amount of flakes per categories.
- Each participant is not told and does not know the amount of flakes in their category.
- Panners pan out their container until they find gold (hopefully).
- Gold is transferred to a vial.
- Vial is shown to a scrutineer.
- Scrutineer and panner confirm amount of gold
- For each piece of gold missing from original container of dirt, panner is penalized three minutes
- Winners of categories are determined by final time (Final time is a combination of time completed container and penalty minutes added)