Yukon Gold Panning Championships
Celebrate Yukon’s rich heritage and the active mining industry that still thrives today during the Yukon Gold Panning Championships! Gold panners of any skill and all ages are welcome to join this competition based on efficiency and speed.
New to panning? Borrow a pan and practice your technique at Free Claim No. 6.
There are 7 categories that run throughout the day and skill levels range from novice to those who make their living mining. Each category rewards a first, second and third place, and all participants keep all the gold they find!
How the event works:
- Participants sign up on the day of the event – Registration opens at 12 pm
- Participating panners are given an equal amount of dirt in a container (usually a pan or bucket’s worth)
- Each container contains Five (5) to Twelve (12) gold flakes- as small as a piece of ground pepper!
- Each participant in their respective category receives the same gold flakes to find
- Participants pan through their entire container of dirt, to find all their gold flakes (hopefully).
- Gold is transferred into a vial
- Vial is shown to a scrutineer to count
- Each participant is penalized three minutes for each gold flake they have not found
- Winners of categories are determined by their final time, the final time is their original panning time combined with any time penalties from missing gold flakes