Thaw di Gras Spring Carnival
Celebrate the end of Winter with Dawson City’s signature event: Thaw di Gras Spring Carnival!
For years, Dawson City has rung in Spring with a Carnival unlike any other. A true community event; we come alive and host a variety of games, from the serious, to ridiculous, to simply outrageous. Thaw di Gras Spring Carnival truly has something for everyone!
Whether you’re looking to toss an axe, race a dog team, or find a loonie in a haystack, we’ve got an event for you. Best of all, almost every event is FREE!
So, what are you waiting for?! Come experience a true carnival atmosphere, with over 25 events happening in a square kilometer, you’ll be calling Thaw di Gras Spring Carnival before it’s over!
Weekend events include:
- DCMF Lip Sync Competition– Take the big stage at Diamond Tooth Gerties and show off your lip syncing skills! Costumes and hillarity are a given!
- Dog Show– Think your dog has got the goods! Proove it at the least pretentious dog show around.
- Cat Show – Yes, a cat show.
- Road Hockey Tournament– Teams of four battle it out on the frozen gravel streets of Dawson.
- Sunnydale Classic Dog Sled and Skijor Races– Test yourself and your pooch(es) in a race around West Dawson.
- Adult Tricycle Races– Race around a bar on an adult sized tricycle and see if you’ve still got your “big wheels” skills.
- The Hat Toss– Think you can throw a hat onto a mounted cow’s head? Let’s see it!
- Bum Darts– Carry quarters in your buttocks from one end of the room to the other. Hit the target to stay in it. Last person standing, wins!
- Snowshoe Baseball– Get a team together, strap on showshoes (provided) and try to play ball. This is not as easy as it sounds.
- Youth Lip Sync– The kids show off their skills at Diamond Tooth Gerties.
- Arm Wrestling– Go “over the top” and prove your strength. Men and women categories.
- Chili Cook-Off– Battle the elements to chop, cook and serve chili to the masses. Best chili is voted by crowd popularity and judges.
- One Dog Pull– Load of the sled and see if your dog can pull the chow. Various weight categories and dog food for prizes!
- Snow Sculptures– Show off your artistic skills in this 48 hour showdown!
- Axe Throw– Toss an axe at a bullseye. Hit the target to win!
- Log Toss– Chuck a log the furthest to win.
- Chainsaw Toss– We’ve all thrown a chainsaw in anger. See if you can throw it the furthest.
- YOOP Tea Boil Competition– Build a fire and boil your tea the fastest to win. Best of all, free tea for all!
- Great KVA Egg Toss– Teams of two throw an egg back and forth. Whoever throws and catches it from the farthest distance, without breaking it, wins!
- Loonies in a haystack– Loonies are hidden in a haystack, then the kids are unleashed to try and find them.
- Fireworks– Lights over the Yukon River, Saturday night.
- Dog Sled Rides– Provided by B-Line Racing.
- AFY Sugar Shack– Taste some delicious maple taffy, provided by Association Franco-Yukonnaise
- Pancake Breakfast and Turkey Shoot– Show of your curling skills after mowing down on delicious pancakes and sausage.
- Snow Mini Golf– A new meaning to “putting from the rough”
- Kids and Youth Activities– A variety of games geared to children and youth, on the dyke.
- Live Music– Multiple venues, hosting nightly entertainment.
- And much more!!!